Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Hyper Connected Isn't Always a Good Thing.

Yesterday on GMA, they did a piece on anxiety in America.  It talked about how so many people are suffering with anxiety at an alarming pace and the ranges of the disorder are all over the board. 


Then, this morning, I look at my desk which is normally pretty organized, but could use a cleaning today.  As I look around here is what I see:


Laptop/Tablet - My tried and true sidekick for Oracle related business. 
iPad - There so I can keep in touch with the weather rolling through Fargo today. 
iPhone - Duh, everyone needs a phone. 
Desk Phone - Oh, I guess I need two. 
Another laptop - Well, to be honest, I JUST got a new one, so I am still going through files on that one.
Another laptop/tablet - But this is my kids' and probably should be moved to another desk somewhere in the house, but right now, it's here. 


I think about how all these tools are feeding into the anxiety of people.  I think about the Mom who the minute an email comes in about a play date has to respond and delete so she doesn't have to see it as another thing to do.  I think about the cute photo that someone posted on their Instagram page which others tore to shreds and now that person feels like they can never share anything again.  I think about the person who has to carefully plan every move they make and every word they say for fear of someone taking it the wrong way.  I think about the teenage girl the other night in Target taking a Snap picture of the guy in front of her because she wanted to make fun of his outfit to her friends!  (BTW, after the man left, I told that young girl that what she was doing was inappropriate and she should find a way to be a part of the solution instead of part of the problem!) 


In this hyper connected world, NO WONDER people have anxiety.  There is always someone watching.  Always someone critiquing you.  Always someone who will take what you say out of context.  Always someone who is waiting for you to drop your guard.  We strive to be perfect.  We want to be understood and we love to receive affirmation in the form of a "like," a thumbs up, a heart and we strive not to be the "open arrow" friend!   


WHY?!


I live without a filter and I know there are times it will come back at me, but I am fine with that.  I am a pretty confident person but there ARE times I second guess myself.  There are times I think twice about what I say, do, write or post and I think that is normal. But there are people who that "thinking twice" stops them from doing something or saying something, all day, everyday.  That has to be painful! 


All the things that sit on my desk are just tools.  They are not my family, my friends or my life.  Sure, they connect me with family, friends and help to organize my life, they help to capture fun moments, they help to keep me on track, but they don't run my life.  We need to put them down, connect with people, enjoy each other, be spontaneous and be real.  And above all, keep going! 







No comments:

Post a Comment