Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Working on Time Travel

In the wake of the Marriott news of their cancellation policy change, I think I'm going to have to brush up on my time travel skills.  Why?  I have no idea what I am doing tonight, much less 48 hours out! 


Sure, I am at home this week and my schedule is based on the kids and friends schedules and those are fluid, but when I travel, the same thing happens.


As with many in corporate travel, meetings, customers and engagements change all the time.  We have a relatively high exchange percentage within our company and what does that tell me, it tells me that plans change.  Travelers find out today that a meeting they were travelling to tomorrow had to change because of a conflict.  Travelers get the airport to find they will misconnect on their way to Miami so they aren't sure they will make it there on time, or at all!! 


Now, let's talk about what corporate travelers have come to expect.  Travelers expect that when they travel and have to make the changes, that our supplier base will understand.  They expect that we have their back and are making sure they can make changes when needed. 


Investors and owners are excited about this because it means more money and more reliability of income.  Of course they are!  If I cancel inside 48 hours now, they keep MY money and with the extra time, probably resell the room, therefore doubling the income on that room.  I'd be tickled with that news as well! 


Time will tell how this impact will be felt across the corporate travel spectrum, but I can say without a doubt that travelers and their ability to make needed last minute changes will be impacted.  I have to go now, but if I can perfect my time travel skills, I will come back to this point and time and adjust this blog to let you know how it went!  Keep going folks...keep going! 



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I thought the whole idea of supplier partnerships were based upon the company directing travelers to use preferred suppliers because preferred suppliers would work with companies to customize contract agreements that worked for their corporate partners? Yes, I know, a slightly sardonic bent to that. Perhaps I can bounce back in time later on and happily adjust that to read "How wonderful that Marriott showed their appreciation for corporate partners and waived those silly 48 hour cancellation rules in recognition of the value of the corporate partnerships." Now, if I could only get one of those Jane Jetson machines that dresses you and does your hair every morning!

    ReplyDelete