Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Being a Leader



In the past few weeks, I have been thrust back into the role of leading people and also helping lead an organization.  It’s made me think about the leaders I have had in the past and the leader I have been in the past.  I am, not surprising to most, inclined to think about my days as captain of a variety of sports teams. 

As a captain, I was not “in charge”, I was charged with making the team better.  When the team succeeded, I succeeded.  When the team faltered, I faltered.  I knew that I needed to prepare the next level of athletes to be ready to take on my role and the team.  I knew that it was not about that one year, but about building something sustainable and strong for the future. 

As a captain, I could not force people to see things “my way”, I was there to help them to see the way.  The way to win, the way to succeed, the way to support others, the way to lose with dignity and the way to learn something every day. 

As a captain, I could never do it all.  I had to have the help of fellow captains and teammates.  I had to earn their trust, day in and day out and I had to give them my trust, day in and day out.  It’s tough to create a team without trust in each other. 

As a captain, I couldn’t say, “do this” and expect it would be done.  There were times I had to show them how, I had to give them options and let them make the best choice.  Telling them how to do things was never as good as showing them how to do things and helping them to learn how and why.  (I have vivid memories of being shown and then teaching the drop-step under the basket.  Just showing me how to do it was never going to work, they had to help me learn!)  

I am excited about the roles that have been set out before me.  I am excited to work with the folks on both teams to make them and the organizations better and let’s be honest, as a leader, I am certain I will learn more from them than any of them will learn from me.  Still learning, still growing, still going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment