Tuesday, October 11, 2016

New Survivor Season

If you follow this blog, you know I am not a reality TV watcher.  As a matter of fact, I don't have much time for TV in general.  (From last Friday to this Thursday, we will have had 15 sports events in our house and NONE of those are practices, all games!  See what I mean about not much time for TV...)  Okay, get back on track Rita!  Anyway, I don't watch much TV but I saw an ad for the new Survivor season.  It's Millennials vs. Gen-X'ers and this mix up has fascinated me so I find myself setting my DVR for this program...why?

In week one, they found out about the generational split.  Teams started to form, love lives started to blossom in the millennial camp and adversaries were targeted.  The Gen-X team went to work making a shelter and Millennials, not really having any ideas where to start, made their way through it.  Took a few more breaks than the others, but got it done. 

As the weeks progress, you can see an interesting difference.  Millennials work together for a common cause, set all the drama aside to be winners.  Gen-X'ers see strength and experience as the most important attributes.  Sometimes hard work pays off and sometimes, that lack of teamwork gets in the way of their overall goal, staying on Survivor Island. 

There is a little romance on the Millennial team between two of the "cool kids."  It's also a horrible throwback to high school when the cool kids were the people everyone followed and wanted to be like.  On the Gen-Xer team, a bro-mance was just shot out of the air when they sent home the oldest person on the team who thought he was a long timer because of his buddies.  On this team, the women were the ones to stand up and see their future if they bro-mance was not impacted. 

I have to say, the physical challenges are weighted in the Millennials advantage.  They are younger, more fit and certainly more agile.  I don't have a suggestion on how to change that, but when you put 18-34 year olds against 35-60 year olds, physical challenges are difficult. 

Note, this is not a promotion for CBS or the show, but I do find the inner workings of the tribes VERY interesting.  I see it everyday life both at work and in my social outings.  In some cases I am on the older side and in some, I on the younger side.  I see people working differently together and naturally, I adapt to whatever the team make-up needs.  Will be interesting to watch the rest of this season and who survives and keeps going. 


No comments:

Post a Comment