Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Flying High With a Win!



A few weeks ago, I was flying to San Francisco on a Saturday afternoon.  Little did I know when I booked the trip, my flight from Denver to SFO was going to smack dab in the middle of the NDSU/Iowa football game.  I waited with anticipation for the aircraft to be designated. I was so hoping for a flight with DirecTV, but alas, my flight only had Wi-Fi.  Then, I had a plan and if it didn’t work, so be it. 

I downloaded the DirecTV app to my iPad and knowing that in-air Wi-Fi would not allow streaming of things like Netflix or Hulu, I thought it was worth a shot.  I boarded the plane, paid for Wi-Fi and prayed that my work around was really going to work.  To my surprise and delight, I was able to watch the NDSU Bison take down the then, #13 in the nation Iowa Hawkeyes with a field goal as the clock ticked away the last few seconds.  I felt bad for my seat mate because I think she thought I was having a seizure but eventually she caught on and even asked the score every now and then! 

50 years ago, I would have had to read about the win the next day in the paper because it would have never been on TV.  20 years ago, it would have been on TV, but only in the local markets.  5 years ago, I would have been able to watch it in any market assuming I had a subscription service.  A few weeks back, I watched the win 30,000 feet in the air with some quick thinking and a prayer that it would work.  My oh my, (personal homage to Scott Miller, the voice of the Bison) how times have changed! 

Now I know, that whether I am cheering on the Bison, the Fight Hawks (I guess that is their new name), the Vikings or maybe even the Eagles, I just might be able to do it when all the odds are stacked against me as long as I keep going. 

1 comment: