Wednesday, May 6, 2015

One Remaining??

I read this story yesterday and it frustrated me to no end, so I thought, why not share it!  That is what blogs are for...right?

In short, its about a company who hires people to work manual labor on an assembly line, pays them well, gives them advancement opportunities and does a nice job of employee recognition.  In a year, they have hired 280 workers and today, only 1 is still there.  The story infers that people born between 1978 ad 1997 have little to no work ethic and to make matter worse, this a South Dakota/North Dakota company where people here are KNOWN for their work ethic!

In reading the story, I became embarrassed for what we have created.  Human beings who don't want to show up for work.  People who say yes to a job and then, when they find out it's WORK, they give up.  These are people, born or at least living in the heartland of America who should know better.  Did they think that Trail King was going to be an office job with a water cooler and a fancy breakroom?  Did they not read the job description?? 

I will step up, however, for many people I DO know in that age range and say, it's not all of them.  I have nieces and nephews as well as many friends born in these years who work hard, everyday.  They show up for work, they put in their time (some of it hard labor) and at the end of the day, they go home knowing they will do it all over again tomorrow.  I would love to say its because of their awesome aunt/friend, but instead, its because they grew up knowing that there is always work to be done.  

My kids, like many others, whine through their chores.  (Who cares!)  Maybe they don't want to go to the farm and drive tractor on a nice Saturday because their friends are going to hang out.  (Tough!) When they are frustrated with something, they are not allowed to give it up simply because its not fun anymore.  (Suck it up!)

Don't get me wrong, I am not a perfect parent...far from it.  My kids aren't perfect, but they are perfect for me.  I am hoping to turn out human beings who know what hard work is about and the rewards that can come from it.  For parents out there whose children don't have chores, jobs or expectations, I pray for you and your children.  Until something else gets my goat....I'm gonna keep going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment