Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A line I sometimes cross....


It’s taken me a while to put pen to paper on this, but the time is now.  There is a line out there between supplier and buyer and I, proudly, cross it at times. 

If you become a trusted supplier, I get to know things about you.  I ask about your Dad who is ill or who has recently had surgery.  I ask about your kids and applaud their recent dance recital or sports win.  I ask about your vacation and plans for the upcoming holiday.  I am friends with you on Facebook and connect with you on Linked In. 

Does this mean that when it’s time to chat about strategy, savings and expectations that I back down?  NO!  Does it mean that when we talk, I trade insider secrets or give you the inside track on how to get more business?  NO!  Does it mean that when it’s time for business, it’s all business?  YES! 

Last week, the world lost a great person, a great supplier and to me, a wonderful friend.  She and I had an interesting bond.  We joked that when we were together in a room or on a call, we thought better.  We played off each other’s ideas and pushed the other to think about things differently.  She is someone I crossed the line with because I wanted to know more about her, how she was doing and to encourage her in her battle with cancer.  When I got the call about her passing, I wept, not because I lost a trusted supplier, I lost a friend.

So, yes, I cross that line at times but I won’t apologize for it.  God’s speed my friend and know that you are missed everyday!  While crossing that line, I will also, keep going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment