Tuesday, April 15, 2014

When speed matters

Having my home airport as Fargo, ND, things like TSA Pre-Check are not always available, but trust, when available, they are worth every penny! 

I traveled home from China two weeks ago to find the customs line in O'Hare nearly meeting me at the gate.  Luckily, I bit the bullet last year, made the appointment for Global Entry and voila...I was on my way.  Within in minutes, I was rocking through the line, claiming my bag and off to re-check it!  

After rechecking my bag, I had to get back through security to catch my connection home.  Thankfully, the TSA Pre-Check line in O'Hare was ready and waiting for me.  So, off I go to stand in a line, but a MUCH shorter line than the others. 

Later in the night, I saw someone who was on the same flight with me from China.  He mentioned that it took him an 1:20 (one hour and twenty minutes) to clear customs and another 30 minutes to get back through security.  That's almost two HOURS of someone's time and energy.  I would guess all in, I waited about 20 minutes. 

The moral of the story, jump on the chance for both programs.  Sure, the Global Entry interview took time and effort (I had to drive 80 miles for the interview) but it was worth it.  In this crazy world, its all about the experience and my experience was tenfold better than the guy who had 2 hours he will never get back!  With ease and efficiency, I keep going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment