Friday, March 21, 2014

What DO you do?

I know I am not the only one who gets asked this question....What DO you do for a living?  I think I get asked this question at least once every other week.  It's an interesting question because the answer changes daily, but I am okay with that.

My degree, Communications (Broadcast Journalism and PR) was chosen, by me, because I wanted to do something different every day.  I wanted to cover a different story or event everyday.  I never wanted to be stuck doing the same thing day after day.  That's why this travel gig works well for me. 

One minute I might be looking at spend patterns over India and how are best leveraging our contracts.  One minute I might be looking at a hotel on a heat map to understand where is the hotel and do I feel safe suggesting someone stay there.  The next might be working with an internal team who is trying to save money on travel costs/events but can't get their hands around what they should be looking at. The next call I pick up is looking to understand our emissions, tracking of those and how we can effectively report them.  (This is a recap of my last 4 conversations TODAY.)

So, when I am asked what I DO for a living, I try to keep things simple because I know it won't make sense to anyone else who doesn't live in our world.  So, in this crazy world of ours, I simply, keep going. 


No comments:

Post a Comment