Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Chex Mix


You have all seen the commercial bags of Chex Mix.  You can buy them at any grocery, convenience or even big box stores.  Last week, I was in Costco and overheard a couple talking about “to buy or not to buy the bag of Chex Mix?”  The conversation went something like this:


Wife – I just wanna buy this and not have to worry about it.  The kids will eat it and that’s all I care about. 


Husband – Yeah, this is fine, but I like the stuff you make better.  They don’t add peanuts, I don’t like the pretzels in here and yours is less salty.


Wife – How about we buy this and I add peanuts? 


Husband – I just think you making yours makes more sense because in the end, we know it will get eaten. 


It was a small exchange and in the end, they didn’t buy the Chex Mix because the wife ended it with, “They’ll eat whatever we buy.” 


I was giggling a little bit during the exchange, but I realized this is the state of travel as we know it.  Let me explain. 


Some people want to buy what’s on the shelf.  They don't care about a bag, they can get their seat when they are ready and all that other "stuff" isn't needed.  It’s there, it’s easy, it gets me the basics of what I need and who cares that it’s not EXACTLY what I want? 


Some people want to get all the ingredients and pull it together for the perfect outcome.  They want flexibility in their purchase, their seat, the ability to use the lounge and they want to board first. They are happy to look at the options and create the best product that is more to their liking. 


Who’s right, the husband?  The wife?  BOTH!  The world of travel needs to be able to give people the options they want.  Easy route?  We got that.  More selective?  I think we are working to get to that point, but I think it needs to happen faster. 


Think of travel the next time you see that bag of Chex Mix and work with me to keep this conversation going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment