Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Watching Lufthansa

On the heels of Lufthansa's implementation of a 16 Euro fee to all tickets issued on LH Family ticket stock, this weekend, their pilots announce a strike on long haul flights.  Then, today, in their ongoing quest to be the world's top airline, they cancel numerous short to medium haul flights this week.  Over 100 flights cancelled in just a few days. 

In a survey recently posted, already over 50% of travel buyers in the US are looking to change how they are doing business with the Lufthansa family...then, this!? 

I get it that Germany has different rules around employment, unions and bankruptcy.  What I don't get is how pilots think they can impact people's ability to do business time and time again and still people will chose them!?! 

Someone tell me how this 16 Euro fee is going to make up for all these cancelled flights! Someone tell me how 100+ cancelled flights make the airline reliable, profitable and the airline of choice of people in the region!  Someone tell me how this timing (many Europeans coming back from holiday) could have been worse! 

I have friends who work there and I know they are shaking their heads over this.  They are coming back from a vacation to this...crap!  What will it take to fix their financial issues?  With many already saying they are selling away from them, I, like the rest of the industry will watch how this will impact them moving forward, or not.  Should I say, their ability to keep going, or not....

No comments:

Post a Comment