Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Book From My Past

When I started with Rosenbluth International in 1994, I met Hal Rosenbluth and then, throughout my 10+ years with the company, I was able to interact with him on a number of occasions.  He left the industry in good hands with many people to Live the Spirit and keep the industry moving forward, but he also left us with a book that I still reference today.

"The Customer Comes Second" is a book about how Hal ran his company.  He knew that taking care of his employees, meant they would take care of his customers.  I remember at a Live the Spirit in Philly, Hal said, "I am the CEO of sleep."  He went on to say that the decisions he makes for his company will impact how his employees sleep at night.  Will they worry about their jobs, their families, their commitments and their communities?  His job, as he saw it, was to make sure people were able to rest well knowing that someone had their back.

I am a firm believer in the customer coming second mentality.  Whether I am on a plane, in a hotel or at the local grocery store, I can tell who loves or hates their jobs.  People who love their jobs are confident in their company, the leadership and their product and they want me, the customer to be happy.  People who hate their jobs are unhappy about something and therefore, I, as a consumer, feel it! 

While the book isn't Pulitzer Prize winning book, its worth a read for anyone who is trying to meet customer needs.  Trust, I am not giving up my Hal Rosenbluth autographed copy but I encourage you to find a copy, read it and enjoy it. 

As I continue to Live the Spirit, I also keep going. 

No comments:

Post a Comment