Friday, August 23, 2013

Hoosiers

Anyone who reads this or knows me, knows I am a sports fan.  I played sports in college, still play today and love to coach.  One of my favorite all-time movies is Hoosiers.  Come on, you remember, Gene Hackman, Barbara Hershey, Dennis Hopper and others you would recognize if you saw them.  Its about a coach who was getting his second chance and he was coaching in Indiana...Hickory, to be exact.  A town that lives and breathes basketball and doesn't like a new coach with new ideas! 

There are days I feel like:
Coach Norman Dale - Getting my second shot at life and trying to make things work out this time..both on and off the court. I have new ideas.  I do things my own way at times, but in the end, its for the good of the team. 
Ollie - The kid that never really wanted to play, he was just a body for practice, but when it came down to crunch time, he pulled through with two granny free-throws to win the game.  I won't be the star in every event, but when the chips are down, I fight for good to prevail. 
Shooter - A washed up basketball star, dad of one of the players, who needs a helping hand and someone to believe in him.  I have been in the industry for a long time but I know when to look for and accept help. 
Jimmy Chitwood - The quiet and shy star of the team, who when it was time for that last second shot said, "I'll make it!"  Trust, I am neither quiet, nor shy, but I have confidence in doing the right thing and taking the team (industry) to a winning season. 

So, if you haven't seen the movie, rent it, netflix it, hulu it!  If you have seen it, go back and watch again.  It's a classic.  So much of what is happening in our world today could benefit from having a Coach Norman Dale, an Ollie, a Shooter or a Jimmy Chitwood involved. 

One last line from the movie...Dentyne!  (It makes sense when you watch it!)

Keep going! 

No comments:

Post a Comment