Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Life's Lesson

Last week at WINiT, the leaders and speakers were asked to shared our biggest life's lesson.  Mine was, "Will this matter in five years?  If the answer is yes, take time and make the right decision.  If the answer is no, make the decision and move on!"

That question has stopped me from arguing with my husband about the dishwasher that STILL has clean dishes in it!  That question has stopped me from talking to my kids about the towel left on the floor of the bathroom.  That question has stopped me from engaging with toxic people.  That question has stopped me from spending time uselessly. 

That question has encouraged me to think about what I want to be when I grow up.  That question has encouraged me to have conversations with my kids about social media posts and things they do and say on-line!  That question has encouraged me to have discussions that matter with people who matter. 

When I look at where my life is today, there are decisions that will matter in five years and there are some that won't.  I hope that I am making the right decision for my future and those of my family and people I care about.  Those that won't matter in five years, I am going to make, move on, keep going and hope for the best.  


2 comments:

  1. This is a really insightful way to think about behavior. So often people just react. But this action of stopping to think about if its really important, makes actions meaningful. Thanks for this, Rita!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words to live by Rita! Thank you. As my husband always says, "Step back and take a second snapshot" before choosing our next action.

    ReplyDelete