Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Gift of Time

Two weekends ago, I got my Christmas present. 

As some know, I was high school and college athlete and my parents were my biggest fans.  They traveled by car (actually, our old green van...man, if that thing could talk!) all over the region and even the country to watch me play sports.  Being the youngest of seven, my kids are also the youngest grandchildren on my side.  My Dad passed away before my kids were old enough to be in sports and my mom, while pretty healthy, hasn't been able to see the kids in their sporting events.  Two weekends ago, that changed. 

My mom spent the weekend with us and in a flurry of friends stopping to see her, gyms, bleachers and whistles, mom was able to enjoy watching my kids play basketball.  She watched some close games, some wins and some losses.  She yelled at the refs, she cheered on the kids and their teammates, she laughed at their antics and loved every minute of it. 

When people talk about the gift of time, THIS was a true gift of time.  She didn't come bearing gifts wrapped in paper with a bow, she gave us all something much more valuable, her time, her love of sports and her love for all of us. 

So, that weekend, I got the gift I have been dreaming about for years.  I hope this year, all of you share the gift of time with someone you love and know that time can't be wrapped in a bow, but more appropriately, wrapped in a hug.  Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and here's to an amazing 2015! 







No comments:

Post a Comment