Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Fortune Cookie Wisdom

This past weekend, after a morning of volleyball, I took my daughter to her favorite Asian restaurant for lunch.  When the meal was over, we partook in the obligatory fortune cookie regimen.  Mine, this week, read, "Being a good sport is far better than being good at a sport." 

We have seen the parents who are living their lives vicariously through their kids.  They want their children to be stronger, faster and better than the next kid.  They clap when someone on the other team gets hurt and they smile proudly when they retell the story of their child hurting another in the field of competition. 

As many know, I was an athlete in high school and college.  My parents were my number one fans!  They drove all over the country to watch my teams play.  They cheered me and my teammates on in good games and in bad.  They worried about everyone in the gym and if someone was hurt, even the opponent, they were concerned.  We won many of our games, but when we didn't, I didn't get to feel sorry for myself, or walk off the court disrespectfully, or blame the refs, or blame my teammates, or blame the coach, or...well, I think you get where I am going.  My parents taught me to be a good sport! 

So, if my kids aren't the best player on their teams, I am okay with that.  My hope for them is that they set an example for their teammates in working hard, giving 100% and genuinely caring about the team!  I also know they are kids and sometimes, they really do want to play and really do want to win...so, in a lesson from my parents, I will remind them that winning isn't about the score on the scoreboard or the amount of playing time tracked, its about the person you become by winning some and losing some! 

Cheering from the sidelines, I keep going! 

No comments:

Post a Comment