Thursday, September 18, 2014

What I Learned This Week

This post is later than normal because life has been anything but normal.  My Mom was found in her apartment on Saturday night by one of my brothers and since then, life has been a little off.  First of all, she is on the mend and getting stronger everyday.  Second, I took a few lessons from this week that I want to share.

1 - Family is family and that's awesome.  Being the youngest of seven, I know my place.  Mine is to listen, take in all the info, communicate and clarify as needed and share my views and ideas.  There isn't one person in our family that makes the final decisions.  We all have a say and we all get the same opportunity to share our thoughts.

2 - I am a LOT like my Mom.  She is serious when it's time, she is funny when it's needed and she is tough as nails.  Side by side with my Dad, they raised seven kids so all of those characteristics needed to be a part of her life on a daily basis. 

3 - The world is different for those over 75 and sometimes, some people don't get that.  Mom had one of us kids with her when she needed to answer all the questions and even though she is smart as whip, there were times she didn't understand the question.  I worry about those who don't have someone with them in these situations.  I worry about the answers given to a question they might not fully understand. 

4 - Life is worth it!  Sure, my Mom didn't want to spend 4 days in ICU and certainly doesn't want the next week or two in the hospital, but life is worth it.

5 - Anyone involved in the medical field needs a pat on the back!  No matter if you are doctor, nurse, CNA, lab tech, cleaning person in the hospital...it's not an easy job.  You are dealing with people with all ranges of abilities and emotions.  You deal with family members with even more abilities and emotions.  You do it in stride and most of the time, with a smile on your face.  When you go home at the end of the day, you must be exhausted!  Not just from the work, but just from being in that "stuff" all day.  So, I applaud you and thank you!  Not everyone can do what you do!

I hope people are learning something everyday, because I sure am.  It might not always be things that are worthwhile, but I thought these were for sure.  So, I'm gonna go call Mom to see how she is and keep learning and keep going.  




No comments:

Post a Comment