Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What Hollywood is missing



Fargo is once again on the screen, TV this time, but still in the spotlight.  I have never seen the movie Fargo and haven't watched an episode of the FX series yet, but let me tell you a few things about my hometown that I think everyone should know.

People are genuinely nice.  They are not nice because they might gain from being nice, they are just nice.  This morning, three TSA people who don't know me, smiled at me and said good morning!

People are fanatical fans.  Whether you like the Bison, Fighting Sioux (they will always be the Fighting Sioux to me), Vikings, Packers, Wild, Blackhawks...the fans are loyal! 

People work hard and play hard.  We are known for our work ethic, but let's not lie, winters are long and summers short.  We play hard in both seasons.  Winter, to get through it and summer, to cherish it!

Let's talk about the winters, sure, they are cold but being the intelligent people we are, we don't go out for a morning run at -25 degrees, just like when it's 100 in Phoenix.  We use our God given smarts and respect Mother Nature.

Ok, let's move on the God.  On one street in Fargo, very close to my house there are 6 churches whose capacity averages 1200 people and every Sunday, you can bet they are all filled.  We have places of worship for all faiths and it's interesting to see how the people of all these faiths work together for each others common good. 

The western part of the state is "Living the life of the oil boom," Fargo is thriving with well educated people, lots of great jobs and new companies coming to town all the time. 

This list go on and on, but you get what I am trying to tell you.  You are welcome to come experience my a hometown and welcome to look me up when you do.  You might get to experience a day on our farm, a day on the lake, a nice evening bonfire on our patio, but when you leave, a part of Fargo will leave with you and I think that's a good thing. 

This weekend, runners from all over will descend on Fargo for the 10th annual Fargo Marathon.  I will not be running the 26.2 miles, but I will take part in the 5k and 10k. So, while running in Fargo, I keep going. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Rita. I've never been to Fargo, so apparently I'm missing out. Have to rectify that one! I have seen the movie, though, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Pokes a bit of fun at Fargoans, but I think you'd appreciate the humor. I highly recommend it! Continue having fun, and good luck with your running!

    ReplyDelete